About Us FAQs on Visa

Q: Do I need a visa to go to India?

A: Yes, all foreigners need a visa to enter India except Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card holders.

Q: Can I get a visa on arrival to enter India?

A: No, Malawi nationals cannot obtain a visa on arrival in India. You should obtain a visa before taking a flight to India.

Q: I will travel at a much later date. Can my visa be issued to coincide with the date of travel?

A: No. Post - dated visas are not issued. The validity of the visa begins from the date of issue.

Q: Do I need to leave my passport with the High Commission of India while applying for a visa?

A: Yes. We need the original passport to process the application and endorse visa sticker on the passport.

Q: Can I pay for the visa fee by online payment/credit or debit card?

A: No, visa fee is accepted only in cash at the Consular Section while submitting the application.

Q: Do I need to be present at the time of submitting an application?

A: Yes. An application has to be submitted in person. Applications are NOT received through agents or representatives.

Q: I wish to visit certain areas in India like Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Nagaland etc. Can I obtain a visa to visit these areas?

A: You can not visit these places on a tourist visa because all of these regions in India are restricted/protected areas for which it is necessary to obtain a Restricted/Protected Area Permit (RAP/PAP). This permit can be obtained in India either from the Ministry of Home Affairs or FRRO concerned after entering India with a tourist visa.

Q: What are the normal processing times?

A: Usually it takes three working days to process a visa application. However, processing times vary from application to application at the sole discretion of the High Commission of India and some applications may take longer than others to get processed. It is advised that visa application should be submitted well in advance with all documents required.

Q: Can I edit the form once it is printed?

A: The online form cannot be edited once it has been printed. Please ensure that you verify that all the information you have entered in online application is correct, before you finally submit the application.

Q: How do I retrieve the form if I have not completed it?

A: At the start and on each subsequent page of the online form there is a unique temporary ID that is generated at the top of the page. This number must be correctly noted for you to be able to retrieve your application before it is finally submitted.

Q: Do I need to submit originals or photocopies of required documents when applying for a visa to India?

A: Yes, you need to submit all the documents in original and clear photocopies. Original documents will be returned after verification and photocopies will be retained in consular section with the application.

Q: Can I study in India?

A: Yes. With a valid student visa for a recognized university/educational institution.

Q: Can I work in India?

A: Yes. With a valid employment visa.

Q: I travel to India frequently for business meetings/to explore opportunities for partnerships with Indian companies. Which visa should I apply for?

A: You may apply for a business visa. It may be noted that a Business Visa does not permit you to work in India. In case you wish to work in India, you should apply for an Employment Visa.

Q: I am a Malawian national and I go for one or two months every year for tourism. Which visa should I apply for?

A: You can apply for a Tourist visa. This visa is not extendable in India.

Q: I have to participate in a Conference/Seminar/Workshop in India. Which visa should I apply for?

A: You should apply for a Conference Visa to enable you to participate in the Conference/Seminar/ Workshop along with invitation letter, details of the Conference etc. Clearance from the competent authorities in India is required.

Q: I will be going to India for work/employment along with my family. Which visa should I apply for? Would my children be able to study in India?

A: You must apply for an employment visa along with the requisite documents. Once your visa application is approved, your spouse and children may apply for dependent employment visas in case they are accompanying you on your stay in India. Your children will be able to secure admission in schools/colleges in India once they have been granted appropriate visas. It may be noted that you have to undergo mandatory registration formalities at the nearest office of the FRRO/FRO within 14 days of your arrival in India.

Q: I had applied for a visa for India but I have changed my mind about visiting the country. Can I claim a refund of the visa fee?

A: Visa fees are non-refundable. Once the visa application is accepted and fee is received, it cannot be refunded even if the visa is refused/not granted.

Q: Do I need a visa for my pet who is accompanying me on my visit to India?

A: Visa is not issued for taking a pet to India but certain customs and vaccination-related regulations have to be complied with. Kindly consult your airline/travel agent for details of these regulations and necessary documentation to facilitate the visit.